Movie Review: King of Boys


     And that's how I decided to watch the most talked about movie in all of Africa last night at the mall, ''King of Boys". Here's the deal, I hadn't been to the cinema in weeks and I was also trying to convince my girl that going to the cinema was way better than just sitting at a restaurant and eating as much as we can. This was a conversion mission.
     It gets better, on getting to the mall, I met a few friends there also waiting to see the best Nigerian movie ever shown in a theater. We got popcorn, drinks, our tickets and went right in.
     Now, I wasn't going to let anything ruin this moment so I got the best seats in the mall, you know those ones right in the middle of the theater from every angle, yes, switched off my phone, turned to my girl and said, ''You are about to have an experience you will never forget''.
     The screens opened with a party and I was ready to take in every detail, every twist, every turn and every second of the 'close to three hours', mind blowing moments. And you guessed right, I wasn't disappointed for a second.
     The movie followed the story of Alhaja Eniola Salami, a businesswoman and philanthropist with a checkered past and a promising political future. A pillar of society, loved by many, feared by most, and truly known by a select few. As her political ambitions saw her outgrow the underworld connections responsible for her considerable wealth, she's drawn into a power struggle that threatened everything she held dear. To come out of this on top, she needed every ounce of the cunning, ruthlessness, and strategy that took her to the top, as well as the loyalty of those closest to her.
     It gets worse, the deeper we went into the movie, the cunnier and more ruthless Sola Shobowale got. She gave me countless ''edge of the seat'' moments from start to finish. Adesua Etomi played her character like it was her life. The yoruba was so well rehearsed, the emotions were well played and I fell in love with her like I did the first time I ever saw her in a big screen.
     Want to know the best part, everybody in this movie was a villain. The good guys were bad and the bad guys were worse and Sola Shobowale was the definition of ''laburu'', evil. The power play in this movie was unrivalled, you couldn't afford to rest assured the King would have her power all through the movie, you had to be afraid with her that someone could snatch it from her at any second, and that ''someone'' did.
     You might be wondering how one movie could deserve so much accolade, well, wonder no more. Its because of the fusion of characters. We knew the king would deliver but when you get maximum delivery from first timers like '' Alaga ibile'', Reminisce and ''Iboboy'', Illbliss, get ready to be blown away. They killed it and they rightly so deserve every praise for their performances. Daddy Jide Babs is a legend, we need not talk too much. His presence alone calls attention. And every other character made my viewing experience fantastic. I certainly got my money's worth.
     Now, believe me, the story never ends with Kemi Adetiba movies, there's always room for a sequel and it surely needs one. Don't take your eyes off the screen for a second, not even at the end, especially at the end. You could miss the whole point.
     I would choose to stop writing now, not because I don't have more praises to shower on ''King of boys'' but because I don't want to ruin the surprise for you. If you watch this movie and it's anything less than I have discribed, drop a comment below with your name and location and get a refund of your money spent. If you also loved this movie, please drop a comment below. And don't forget to subscribe.
 
Cast:
Adesua Etomi⁩‭, Sola Shobowale, Jide Kosoko, Illbliss, Reminisce.

In Cinemas:
October 16 2018

A Kemi Adetiba Movie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Review: Bird Box

WALKING ON THE SEASIDE: Araromi Beach Experience.

Last Night